Here comes my all time favourite quick gujarati recipe. U can serve it as a starter or breakfast recipe or farsan in a main thali. We can add as many vegetables as carrot,cabbage, Spinach.In Gujarat people make Muthiya from Leftover rice also,no need of any vegetable.
Wheat flour: 1 cup (If bhakri flour or whole wheat flour is available thn best)
Besan : 1/2 cup
Oil : 3-4 tbsp
Lauki : 1/2 (medium size) or small (grated)
ajvain : 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Ginger garlic and chili paste: 1 tbsp or as per taste
Sugar: 1 tbsp
salt as per taste
For seasoning and garnish:
Oil : 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds : 1 tbsp
asofeteda (hing) : a pinch
Sesame seeds : 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves for garnishing
- First add oil , and other spices to Grated lauki.
- add both flours. make a very soft dough, no need to add water as lauki will have enough water content.
- Make equal size of roll type pieces from the dough
- Heat the steamer and place the muthias carefully
- Keep it on high flame for 10-15 mins
- check if it is cooked with a knife
- Let it cool down
- Cut the rolls in to small pieces
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add mustard seeds
- when it crackles add hing and sesame seeds
- Add the muthias to seasoning, stir fry for few mins
- Take out in a serving plate , garnish with coriander leaves
- serve with coriander- mint chutney or tomato sauce.
- Make muthia dough when need to prepare, else it will become very loose b'coz of veggies water content.
- U can serve the steamed muthias without seasoning too
- Vegetable content should be more thn flour to taste best.