Wednesday, May 19, 2010
In south guajarat we all love vati daal khaman,I never thought to make it my own, as it was easily available at each gulli, but here first time learned how to make it and its superb.. Felt the same smell of khaman at gulli's farsan shop :)Thanks to my neighbour aunty ..i was bit concerned about the oil part, but ok for once in 2 months or so ..or we can customize :)
Lets divide the whole recipe in four parts : soaking, grinding,steaming, tadka
Chana daal - 3 cups
Moong daal - 1/3 cup
urad daal- 1/3 cup
rice- 2 tbsp
Method: Soak all the ingredients together for 12 hours in a bowl full of water
Oil - 1 cup ( yeah it sounds too much )
Curd- 1 cup
gram flour- 2 tbsp
Method: grind the soaked ingredients with 1 cup oil and 1 cup curd. now keep one container in which we want to fermant , greece the container with the 2tbsp gram flour and oil (consistency should be very thin)
Add the grinded batter in the container , mix well
Let it ferment for 12 hours, thn keep in fridge for another 12 hour to 1 day
Green chili paste 1 tbsp
Ginger paste 1 tbsp
oil for grease and 2 tbsp
Eno - 1 tsp
Keep the steamer on stove with greased plate. cover the steamer with greased plate
Meanwhile add all the ingredients in batter, kept outside from fridge prior 1-2 hour of steaming. add the batter in the greased plate and let it steam for 25 mins
1 tbsp oil
mustard seeds, asofeteda
Coriander leaves, shreded coconut for garnishing
Here difference is , we have to let cool the steamed khaman and the tadka both..
Once both are cooled, add tadka, earlier i used to add hot tadka and mustard seeds remained stick sometime, but if we let it cool and spread with spoon, it will spread nicely
Sunday, April 25, 2010
Hi friends, We all use temarind-jaggery chutney for many of our chaat recipes.But when i tested this chutney, i couldn't believe...Same tangy taste but no temarind atall!!!! Now for any chaat, i m preparing applebutter and guava paste chutney only :)Thanks to my potluck friend yugma who gave me this recipe
Add applebutter and guava paste in equal quantity,salt,redchili powder,coriander-cumin powder, dry mango powder and water..Finally blend the mixture . Chutney is ready :)
Note : We can add some cooked dates in chutney.. guava paste is for sweet taste and its amount can vary as per your own taste.
Apple butter can be found in applebarn, publix, walmart easily(check the jam and jelly section), but guava paste have found in publix only till now.. U can replace guava paste with jaggery or dates
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Friday, October 23, 2009
When I was child I never liked Bengan, I used to take it out from my dish, But when I tried this version of bengan, my taste was change.My Mother use to make it very tasty, even the aroma of the curry is so nice that u cannot resist urself from having.when I think of a perfact thali for winter season it would be stuffed bengan, Green moong daal khichdi, Kadhi and Bajri Rotla with papad and aachar..ohh my god now this is mouthwatering for u too right, so let's make it.
small size bengans : 6-8
nylon sev : 2 tbsp
peanuts : 2 tbsp (crushed)
garlic paste : 1 tbsp
red chili powder : 1tbsp
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Sugar : 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves : 1 tbsp
coriander powder : 1 tbsp
garam masala : 1 tsp
salt according to taste
Oil : 1 tbsp
For making curry:
Potato : 1 small size (cut in 4 pieces)
tomato: 1 small size( cut in small pieces)
Oil : 1 tbsp (for seasoning)
mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Hing a pinch
water : 2 cups
- Mix all the spices in nylon sev and crushed peanuts.
- add sugar,coriander leaves
- slit bengan from both side such that we can stuff,( see the pic)
- stuff bengan with the mixture. keep remaining mixture aside
- heat oil in a cooker.
- add mustard seeds when it crackles add hing
- Add stuffed bengan, cut potato and tomato
- Add remaining mixture .
- Add water
- Cover the lid of cooker and keep on till only one whistle
- Open the lid and check if cooked ,cover the lid again.
stuffed bengan is ready to serve .
It tastes best with Moong dal khichdi.
Instead of cooker, it can be cooked in a pan covered with lid.
Lauki : 1/2 (medium size) or small (grated)
- First add oil , and other spices to Grated lauki.
- add both flours. make a very soft dough, no need to add water as lauki will have enough water content.
- Make equal size of roll type pieces from the dough
- Heat the steamer and place the muthias carefully
- Keep it on high flame for 10-15 mins
- check if it is cooked with a knife
- Let it cool down
- Cut the rolls in to small pieces
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add mustard seeds
- when it crackles add hing and sesame seeds
- Add the muthias to seasoning, stir fry for few mins
- Take out in a serving plate , garnish with coriander leaves
- serve with coriander- mint chutney or tomato sauce.
- Make muthia dough when need to prepare, else it will become very loose b'coz of veggies water content.
- U can serve the steamed muthias without seasoning too
- Vegetable content should be more thn flour to taste best.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Gol papdi as name suggests made of Jaggery (gud) and wheat flour.
Ghee 1 cup
Wheat flour 2 cup
jaggery 3/4 cup or according to taste
cardamom (Elaichi) 2-3 (powdered)
- Heat some ghee on pan..
- Add wheat flour In ghee and roast it till light pink colour.
- Take it in a plate.
- heat remaining ghee and add jaggery to it, mix it fast and stir continuously.(if we keep it for long time it will become hard so do it fast)
- Add roasted flour.Add powdered elaichi.
- Take a plate greece some ghee with finger on it.take a steel bowl applying ghee upside down (keep both ready).
- spread the mixture On plate .Spread fast and press with steel bowl.
- make the cuts with knife but don't take it out till cools down.
Take out pieces when its totally cooled down.
It's high calorie sweet recipe, Good to have during winter times, As our Elder people say ghee for strength and gud is good source of iron.So good for growing children.
Friday, October 9, 2009
- Handvo is one of the most popular recipes in Gujaratis.Traditionally In our home my mother used to Prepare it on sigdi .I love that.. Some people prepare it in special cooker for Handvo.some Bake it. One more style to cook it is in a nonstick pan.let me share this very tasty recipe to prepare Handvo.
Handvo (ondhvo) flour 4 cups
Dudhi(kadu) or bottle gaurd 1 cup( shredded)
carrot 1/2 cup (shredded)
cabbage 1/4 cup (shredded)
green peas or mutter 1/4 cup
spinach 1/2 bunch (optional)
Green chili, Ginger and garlic paste according to taste
Pinch of turmeric
oil 2 tbsp
cumin seeds( jeera)
2 dry whole red chili
- Add curd to the Handvo flour , make the batter smooth with hot water .
- It should not be as loose as Idly batter.Keep aside and let it ferment for about 7-8 hours.
- When Batter is fermented and we r ready to make handvo, add all the vegetables, green chili, ginger, garlic paste , salt and turmeric.
- Heat oil in a flat nonstick pan. Add mustard seeds, when it starts crackling add jeera,hing, clove, til and dry red chili. Soon Pour 1/4 of the batter..
- cover the lead of pan.Let it cook for 5-7 mins with heat on medium .
- check if it's golden brown in colour, And turn the side up. again cover the top .
let it cook for another 5-7 mins. Repeat the procedure for other batter and make Pancakes from that..