- Handvo is one of the most popular recipes in Gujaratis.Traditionally In our home my mother used to Prepare it on sigdi .I love that.. Some people prepare it in special cooker for Handvo.some Bake it. One more style to cook it is in a nonstick pan.let me share this very tasty recipe to prepare Handvo.
Handvo (ondhvo) flour 4 cups
Dudhi(kadu) or bottle gaurd 1 cup( shredded)
carrot 1/2 cup (shredded)
cabbage 1/4 cup (shredded)
green peas or mutter 1/4 cup
spinach 1/2 bunch (optional)
Green chili, Ginger and garlic paste according to taste
Pinch of turmeric
oil 2 tbsp
cumin seeds( jeera)
2 dry whole red chili
- Add curd to the Handvo flour , make the batter smooth with hot water .
- It should not be as loose as Idly batter.Keep aside and let it ferment for about 7-8 hours.
- When Batter is fermented and we r ready to make handvo, add all the vegetables, green chili, ginger, garlic paste , salt and turmeric.
- Heat oil in a flat nonstick pan. Add mustard seeds, when it starts crackling add jeera,hing, clove, til and dry red chili. Soon Pour 1/4 of the batter..
- cover the lead of pan.Let it cook for 5-7 mins with heat on medium .
- check if it's golden brown in colour, And turn the side up. again cover the top .
let it cook for another 5-7 mins. Repeat the procedure for other batter and make Pancakes from that..